• Thu. Sep 29th, 2022

NSW Police Commissioner Mick Fuller says there is not enough evidence to establish that the eastern suburbs driver or his employer breached public health orders.

Jun 26, 2021

NSW Police Commissioner Mick Fuller says there is insufficient evidence to establish whether the eastern suburbs driver at the centre of the Bondi COVID-19 outbreak had breached public health orders.
In a statement on Saturday, Commissioner Fuller said that neither the driver nor his employer would be charged.
NSW Police Commissioner Mick Fuller.Credit:James Brickwood
Police on Friday revealed they had sought urgent external advice about the mans conduct after their own lawyers came to the determination that there was insufficient evidence.
Police had been investigating whether the driver had failed to wear a mask or undertake daily saliva testing.
Commissioner Fuller said it was necessary to seek a second opinion because of the significance of the outbreak and the heightened community concern.
A two-week lockdown for Greater Sydney, Wollongong, the Blue Mountains, the Central Coast and Shellharbour was announced on Saturday.
The driver has so far been identified as the most likely patient zero in the Bondi cluster outbreak.
However, NSWs Chief Health Officier Dr Kerry Chant on Saturday said contact tracers continued to explore all hypotheses.