• Sun. Mar 12th, 2023

North Melbourne baffled by ‘worst decision of the year’

May 8, 2021

North Melbourne forward Cameron Zurhaar has fallen victim of the worst umpiring decision of the year to date.During the second quarter of Saturday’s contest against Collingwood at Marvel Stadium, Zurhaar received a handball from teammate Nick Larkey and kicked at goal from approximately 45 metres out.
Watch the 2021 Toyota AFL Premiership Season. Every match of every round Live on Kayo. New to Kayo? Try 14-Days Free Now >
But his off-balanced shot flew wide of posts, the wayward kick dribbling over the boundary near the 50m line.
However, umpire Dean Margetts bizarrely called Zurhaar for a deliberate out of bounds, gifting the Magpies a free kick.
Zurhaar and North Melbourne coach David Noble were utterly baffled by the decision, as were the Fox Footy commentators.
“He’s having a shot,” Anthony Hudson said in commentary. “I cannot believe that has just happened.
“Gobsmacked by that decision, I’ve got to say.”
Even the Melbourne spectators voiced their displeasure, a chorus of boos echoing around the venue.
Hawthorn legend Jason Dunstall explained: “He’s dropped the ball poorly and hit the wrong side.
“You can’t say that’s a lack of intent to keep the ball in. He’s having a shot for goal.”
St Kilda great Nick Riewoldt labelled it the “worst decision of the year”.
Australian Olympian Georgie Parker tweeted: “Imagine having a shot on goal that’s so bad they pay deliberate out of bounds.”
Comedian Peter Hellier posted: “That deliberate against North was the only time I’ve heard Pies fans boo a free kick they received!”
The Advocate’s Alex Fair tweeted: “That’s an unbelievable deliberate call. He was having a shot at goal. Horrible decision.”
READ MORE: Tigers coach’s huge call after thrashing
After a closely-contested opening quarter at Docklands, Collingwood raced ahead in the second term to clinch a 30-point lead at halftime.
But the Kangaroos kicked four consecutive goals after the break to reduce the margin early in the third quarter.
However, Collingwood held their nerve by kicking a cluster of majors to secure a 27-point lead at three-quarter time.
The Magpies ultimately claimed their first win since March, the scoreboard reading 14.10 (94) to 11.10 (76) as the final siren sounded.